The history of Bampton is thought to have started with a Roman fort, but later Saxon remains are most easily seen. Some hedges conform to the Saxon furrow measure of 625 feet (the later furlong) and traces of Saxon strip farming can be seen to the north-east of the later castle. The circular churchyard is also Saxon in origin.
The 11th-century Norman Bampton Castle was built in about 1067 by Walter Douai or his son, Robert. Originally it probably had a timber tower on top of the Motte. To the east of the mound was a rectangular bailey, defended to the south by the steep slope down to the River Batherm. Following a dispute with King Stephen about the ownership of lands around Uffculme, Robert Douai rebelled against King Stephen. Stephen then besieged the castle which eventually surrendered. Robert’s fled into exile and his lands were granted to Henry de Tracy.
For further info on feudal barony of Bampton
visit Wikipedia by clicking on the link.
We are very lucky to have a small group of volunteers, who work hard to maintain this historical site. There are a number of plans in the pipeline which hopefully, in time, will see further improvements and a return to animal grazing on the mound. Any visit to Bampton would be enhanced by a visit to the top of the steps for an incredible view of the town.